lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Searching for a special character
Date Wed, 24 Jun 2009 18:11:19 GMT
First, I highly, highly recommend you get a copy of Luke to examineyour
index. It'll also help you understand the role of Analyzers.

Your first problem is that StandardAnalyzer probably removes
the open and close parens. See:
http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_4_1/api/index.html
so you can't search on them *even if* you escape the
terms in your query parsing correctly, see:
http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_3_2/queryparsersyntax.html#Escaping Special
Characters

You want to understand the implications of whatever
analyzer you choose, or progress will be...er...difficult <G>.

Luke will allow you to try different Analyzers and see the results of
parsing
queries, which will be a fine place to start...

Best
Erick