lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Cool The Breezer <techcool.ku...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Similarity
Date Tue, 23 Jun 2009 10:55:57 GMT

Shashi,
          I think I am planning or intended to do the same thing as implemented in LSI methodology.
It seems from your meesage, you or somebody might have used the LSI approach in lucene. So
can you share some of your work. I am more interested to know any library or package or paper
used for analyzing terms semantically and constrcuting vector space.

- RB

----- Original Message ----
From: Shashi Kant <shashi.mit@gmail.com>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 3:20:16 PM
Subject: Re: Similarity

I suspect what you are looking for is "Latent Semantics" - it can
algorithmically infer that "iPod~iPhone" or "Apple~Steve Jobs". Google for
"Latent Semantic Indexing" or "Latent Semantic Analysis" - you can apply
some of those approaches using the TermVectors in Lucene index.
Ontologies such as WordNet are very generic, hence if you have a domain
specific corpus, you would need to generate some kind of Latent Semantic
Index to extract the relations therein.