lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From <Peter_Lena...@ibi.com>
Subject RE: Lucene Index Encryption
Date Fri, 08 May 2009 19:02:55 GMT
You are correct, other vulnerabilities will of course be the Swap file,
which is much easier to dump than the memory contents, since it may
persist even when the process dies or the machine is turned off, and of
course a process dump or snapshot file.

In either case, those cracks would be on a system that generally has
access to the data while it is running. Since the same cracks would be
available in the swap or dump file say when an SQL table were in memory
we would have the same issue.

The reality is that the data will need to be decrypted in RAM memory at
sometime in its lifetime whether it is from the Lucene index, or the
original source like and SQL table or a decrypted PDF file.

However, if the file or the computer is stolen, an encrypted index would
be useless because of the encryption would presumably match that of the
original source.

Other system tools outside of the scope of this discussion would need to
wipe the swap file of secure content when the process dies off the hard
drive.

Peter