lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: Do TermDocs and TermEnum need to be closed?
Date Thu, 21 May 2009 16:19:56 GMT
You're right, SegmentTermDocs/TermEnum.close calls close on its
IndexInputs, but those IndexInputs were obtained by calling clone() on
the "real" IndexInputs and so for NIOFSDirectory, FSDirectory and
RAMDirectory at least, when a clone's close() is called, that's a
no-op.

I think there are many places in Lucene where we don't close the
TermDocs/TermPositions so I think you're OK not calling them
until/unless this situation changes in Lucene.

Probably we should either remove close() entirely (because it sure
looks like it's supposed to be called), or, call close() from Lucene
consistently when we use these classes.

Adding close/finish to DISI is an interesting idea... I've added a
comment here to raise this:

Mike