lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: Lucene Index Encryption
Date Tue, 05 May 2009 08:22:23 GMT
Would you encrypt at the file level?  Ie, the encryption would live
"under" a RandomAccessFile (RAF) and otherwise feel "normal" to
Lucene?

(I think I remember others exploring encryption at the individual term
level, which is interesting but does leak information in that you can
see individual terms & their frequencies).

Lucene needs to be able to ask a RAF opened for writing what it's
current "position" is during indexing, which it then stores away, and
later during searching it needs to ask a RAF opened for reading to
seek back to that position so it can read bytes from there.  Would the
encryption APIs allow this?

If this is possible then couldn't one make a Directory impl that hides
all encryption/decryption "under the hood"?

(Presumably performance will suffer perhaps substantially since every
search will need to decrypt on the fly...).

Mike