lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Eric LeVin <ejlevin1....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Problems searching index
Date Mon, 18 May 2009 14:37:57 GMT
Thanks so much for your help Balasubramanian.  Interestingly enough, I
tried doing the following:

indexWriter.addDocument(doc);
            indexWriter.commit();
            indexWriter.optimize();

            indexReader.reopen();
            indexSearcher = new IndexSearcher(indexReader);

so that a new indexSearcher would be used after the writer has added new
documents [obviously this is NOT optimized :) but I'm just trying to get
the core functionality down first] and that still didn't work.  The idea
gave me a different thing to try though-- I created a brand new
indexSearcher from the FSDirectory and that searcher worked excellent.
Not sure why reopen and creating a new searcher wouldn't work, but I'll
look into it a little more and hopefully be able to figure something out.

Thanks!

balasubramanian sudaakeran wrote:
> Hi Eric LeVin,
> I think whenever you reopen the indexReader you have to re-create indexSearcher also.
This is because reopen of indexReader will give you a new instance if the underlying data
is changed.

> Function documentation for IndexReader.reopen
>    * If the index has not changed since this instance was (re)opened, then this
>    * call is a NOOP and returns this instance. Otherwise, a new instance is
>    * <b>Note:</b> The re-opened reader instance and the old instance might
share
>    * the same resources. For this reason no index modification operations
>    * (e. g. {@link #deleteDocument(int)}, {@link #setNorm(int, String, byte)})
>    * should be performed using one of the readers until the old reader instance
>    * is closed. <b>Otherwise, the behavior of the readers is undefined.</b>

>    * <p>

searching.  I've created a simple little index of 10 documents as follows:

> id: 1
> type: Article
> content: <<some content>>

> id: 10
> type: Article
> content: <<other content>>
>
> So I created a simple TermQuery for starters that would pull back all of my Article types:
>
> BooleanQuery bq = new BooleanQuery();
> bq.add(new TermQuery(new Term(FIELD_TYPE, "Article")), Occur.MUST);
>
> I realize that I could simply do a TermQuery, but I want to be able to add additional
content constraints after I get this working.  So here is where my confusion comes in:

> If I run the query against my IndexSearcher, I get 0 results; however, if I run it as
a delete on the IndexWriter, I can open it in Luke and see the entire index deleted.  So why
would the writer be finding documents and the searcher wouldn't?  As a note, whenever I am
adding documents, I am calling reopen() on the reader.  Here is how I'm creating the writer/reader/searcher: