lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From ChristophD <christoph.die...@kqv.de>
Subject Re: Using Luke on a Lucene Index in a Database
Date Wed, 20 May 2009 07:33:45 GMT

Ok, so let me clear it up.

Lucene offers different types of Directories
(org.apache.lucene.store.Directory) into which it stores the index data.
Most people probably use the FSDirectory implementation which writes the
index data as files into the filesystem. However, we use the DbDirectory
implementation which writes into a specified relational database.

Now, I was really surprised to see that Luke only offers to open an index
that was written to the filesystem. I had expected to be able to supply a
jdbc url.

The way Lucene writes the index into the DB is really a direct projection of
the FS version. For every file it creates a record in the DB which has a
name and a BLOB that contains the file's data.

So what I did was, I wrote a small program that reads the index from the DB
and writes it back as files. These files I could open with Luke without
problems.

so long,
Christoph