lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "patrick o'leary" <pj...@pjaol.com>
Subject Re: Lucene Index Encryption
Date Fri, 08 May 2009 18:34:01 GMT
There will always be levels of where data will be insecurely available. Most
notably within the memory of an application once it's running. Unless you
want to go down the path of encrypting and decrypting each and every string.
At which point you loose dictionary functionality and well any useful
enumeration.

If you run a system where your security concern is for persistent data
storage, e.g. disk, backup's, off lease returns, repairs etc.. and not
volatile storage, one method might be to store the lucene index in a
encrypted archive, file system or a hardware device, and use something like
Dave Spencers idea of converting an FSDirectory into a RAMDirectory
like
http://www.mail-archive.com/lucene-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg00633.html

Once it's in volatile memory, it's obviously possible with someone who knows
what they're doing, but a hell of a lot harder to penetrate, when the
process dies the unencrypted data is gone (as long as you're using
appropriate RAM)