lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Matt Schraeder" <MSchrae...@btsb.com>
Subject Re: Suggestive Search
Date Wed, 08 Apr 2009 18:50:00 GMT
Corerct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think n-grams is really what I'm
looking for here.  I'm not looking for a spellchecker or phrase checker
style suggestive search, but only based on the exact phrases the user is
currently typing.  Since Lucene uses term-based searching, I'm not sure
how to have it search on portions of a full phrase.  Using a standard
lucene search typing in "harr" will result in searching for "harr" as a
term, which will not find "Harry Potter".  Using ngrams it would find
"Harry" as a term, but not at the beginning of an entire phrase.  This
would bring back "My Dog Harry" as a result, which isn't what I'm
looking for. I just want phrases from fields beginning with "Harr"
only.

I could easily do this all with our database server by simply doing a
query for "where searchqueries like 'harr%'" but we're trying to limit
our hits to the database to keep speed up on the site.

>>> karl.wettin@gmail.com 4/8/2009 12:49:45 PM >>>

For this you probably want to use ngrams. Wether or not this is
something that fits in your current index is hard to say. My guess is

that you want to create a new index with one document per unique
phrase. You might also want to try to load this index in an
InstantiatedIndex, that could speed things up quite a bit if the
corpus is not too large.

If your suggestion text corpus is really large and you only want
forward-only suggestions then you might want to consider a trie-
pattern solution instead. These can be rather resource efficient, even

when loaded to memory.

If you have a lot of user load on your search eninge then it might be

interesting to use old user queries as the base of your suggestions
and perhaps boost a bit on trends, i.e. the more people search for
something the more it get boosted in the suggestions list.

      karl

8 apr 2009 kl. 15.26 skrev Matt Schraeder:

> I want to add a suggestive search similar to google's to
autocomplete
> search phrases as the user types.  It doesn't have to be very
> elaborate
> and for the most part will just involve searching single fields.
How