lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Matt Schraeder" <MSchrae...@btsb.com>
Subject Speed of fuzzy searches
Date Thu, 02 Apr 2009 16:16:57 GMT
I've got a simple Lucene index and search built for testing purposes.
So far everything seems great. Most searches take 0.02 seconds or less.
Searches with 4-5 terms take 0.25 seconds or less.  However, once I
began playing with fuzzy searches everything seemed to really slow down.
 A fuzzy search seems to take vastly longer time, 6 seconds for a single
term such as "cow~" and 24 seconds for fuzzy searches of multiple
terms.

Is there anything I can do to speed up fuzzy searches or are they by
default just simply slow?

My index is only 6.1M, with ~18000 documents.  Each document has 5
fields, a combination of text and keywords. I'm afraid that when I begin
to scale up to have more fields it will only make the problem worse.