lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <>
Subject Re: Google's search Appliance relevance ranking
Date Fri, 17 Apr 2009 16:09:02 GMT

On Apr 16, 2009, at 10:22 AM, Vasudevan Comandur wrote:

> Hi,
>   The question that I am posting in this group may be inappropriate
> and I
> want to apologize for that.

I wouldn't say it's inappropriate, but I don't know if anyone here
could say with certainty b/c the last time I checked GSA was not an
open platform...

>   My question is, what is the relevance ranking algorithm which is
> used in
> Google Search Appliance (GSA) because the search
>   is predominantly on documents rather than web pages.

AFAIK, they use a Vector Space Model much as Lucene does, but you'd
have to ask them as I don't have anything to point to other than I've
heard others speculate it.

>   I appreciate if any of you can send me pointers to the algorithm
> used by
> google.

Sorry, I don't have any.  I would look through their docs.  Or, just
use Lucene/Solr and save yourself a bunch of money... ;-)

> Regards
> Vasu

Grant Ingersoll

using Solr/Lucene: