lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <>
Subject Re: semi-infinite loop during merging
Date Fri, 24 Apr 2009 22:02:08 GMT
OK I opened

Christiaan, could you try out that patch to see if it fixes the
semi-infinite merging?  Thanks.  (You'll need to back-port to 2.4.1,
but it's a very small patch so hopefully not a problem).

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 5:11 PM, Michael McCandless
<> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 5:02 PM, Christiaan Fluit
> <> wrote:
>> Rollback does not work for me, as my IW is in auto-commit mode. It gives an
>> IllegalStateException when I invoke it.
>> A workaround that does work for me is to close and reopen the IndexWriter
>> immediately after an OOME occurs.
> Ahh, right: that's (close the writer) the correct workaround (when
> autoCommit=true).  Though... it'd be best to not hit OOME so often.
>> I added message(String) invocations in all places where the IW.hitOOM flag
>> is set, to see which method turns it on. It turned out to be addDocument
>> (twice). These OOME's only happen with the JET build, which explains why the
>> Java build does not show the exploding index behavior: the hitOOM flag is
>> simply never set and the merge is allowed to proceed normally.
> Why does JET hit OOME but straight JRE doesn't?
>> The flag is definitely not set while the IW is merging, nor do any OOME's
>> appear in my log files during merging. Therefore, there must be a problem in
>> how the merge operation responds to the flag being set.
> OK; likely a merge eventually tried to start after the OOME.
> Mike

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message