lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: RangeFilter performance problem using MultiReader
Date Fri, 10 Apr 2009 18:50:57 GMT
On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 2:32 PM, Mark Miller <markrmiller@gmail.com> wrote:

> I had thought we would also see the advantage with multi-term queries - you
> rewrite against each segment and avoid extra seeks (though not nearly as
> many as when enumerating every term). As Mike pointed out to me back when
> though : we still rewrite against the multi-reader and so see no real
> savings here. Unfortunately.

But, RangeQuery.rewrite is simply enumerating terms, which I think is
working "OK".

It's enumerting terms, then seeking a sister TermDocs to each term,
that tickles the over-seeking problem.  FieldCache does that, and
RangeFilter on 2.4 does that, but RangeFilter (or RangeQuery with
constant score mode) on 2.9 should not (they should do it per
segment), which is why I'm baffled that Raf didn't see a speedup on
upgrading.

Mike