lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From John Wang <john.w...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Google's search Appliance relevance ranking
Date Fri, 17 Apr 2009 23:28:56 GMT
Little I know about GSA, there isn't a distributed solution (old
information, not sure if it is still the case), so it is not very easy to
scale your search system. Something you can achieve rather easily with a
Lucene/Solr implementation.
There are other benefits of using an open source solution such as you can
see/fix bugs/issues or even write your own extensions by looking at the
source code.

If you are worried about support with Lucene/Solr, the committers have
formed a company for that, it is probably more cost-effective to pay for
support/consulting than paying google for their box (you may have to pay
support on top of the "pizza box")

my two cents.

-John