lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Raf <r.ventag...@gmail.com>
Subject RangeFilter performance problem using MultiReader
Date Fri, 10 Apr 2009 14:38:12 GMT
Hi,
we are experiencing some problems using RangeFilters and we think there are
some performance issues caused by MultiReader.

We have more or less 3M documents in 24 indexes and we read all of them
using a MultiReader.
If we do a search using only terms, there are no problems, but it if we add
to the same search terms a RangeFilter that extracts a large subset of the
documents (e.g. 500K), it takes a lot of time to execute (about 15s).

In order to identify the problem, we have tried to consolidate the index: so
now we have the same 3M docs in a single 10GB index.
If we repeat the same search using this index, it takes only a small
fraction of the previous time (about 2s).

Is there something we can do to improve search performance using
RangeFilters with MultiReader or the only solution is to have only a single
big index?

Thanks,
Raf