lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Roberto Franchini <>
Subject Re: RangeFilter performance problem using MultiReader
Date Sat, 11 Apr 2009 10:04:44 GMT
On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 11:48 AM, Michael McCandless
<> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 5:27 AM, Raf <> wrote:
> You have readers from 72 different directories, but is each directory
> an optimized or unoptimized index?

I'm Raffaella's collegue, and I'm the "indexer" while she is the "searcher" :)

All indexes are optimized, we don't use compound files and we use the
NIO FSDirectory, since we are on linux-64.
We build indexes by month and then we aggregate them using the
multireader. On every month we can have more than one index, e.g:
200901-->index1, index2

Single indexes can be very little or very big, it depends on the source.
I think we can try to merge on moth basis so we can obtain only one
index for every month.

Doing so, each month's index will be quite the same in size. I tihink
this could help to improve performance on 2.9.

Thanks a lot to everybody.

Roberto Franchini
Tel +39-011-6600814 skype:ro.franchini

To unsubscribe, e-mail: