lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Roberto Franchini <ro.franch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: RangeFilter performance problem using MultiReader
Date Sat, 11 Apr 2009 10:04:44 GMT
On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 11:48 AM, Michael McCandless
<lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 5:27 AM, Raf <r.ventaglio@gmail.com> wrote:

[cut]

> You have readers from 72 different directories, but is each directory
> an optimized or unoptimized index?

Hi,
I'm Raffaella's collegue, and I'm the "indexer" while she is the "searcher" :)

All indexes are optimized, we don't use compound files and we use the
NIO FSDirectory, since we are on linux-64.
We build indexes by month and then we aggregate them using the
multireader. On every month we can have more than one index, e.g:
200901-->index1, index2
200902-->index3
200903-->index4,index5,index6

Single indexes can be very little or very big, it depends on the source.
I think we can try to merge on moth basis so we can obtain only one
index for every month.
200901-->index12
200902-->index3
200903-->index456

Doing so, each month's index will be quite the same in size. I tihink
this could help to improve performance on 2.9.

[cut]

Thanks a lot to everybody.
R.

--