lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <noble.p...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Can I run Lucene in google app engine?
Date Mon, 13 Apr 2009 08:16:03 GMT
On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 1:10 PM, Chris Lu <chris.lu@gmail.com> wrote:
> Surely it's possible, but it has too much limitations to prevent a scalable
> Luceen usage. However, it depends on your requirement.
>
> 1) You can not write index on disk, but you can read files. So theoretically
> if the index is read-only and small, you can package it with the war file.
I can probably write the whole index as  Blob and read it and serve
the index from RAM. This index can be loaded once in the start time
and i can setup a cron task to see if it got updated

> 2) If you need to update the index, you will have to store the index with
> Google's data store, just like store an index into databases. Sure it'll
> work. But performance would suffer because of transferring the whole index
> into memory, then really start searching. On the other hand, this could be a
> good solution for small index with per-user data.
as you said this is a solution if the index size is small

> 3) For large changing indexes, you need to find other solutions to maintain
> lucene index.
>
> My personal opinion is, finding a $20/month VPS hosting is far easier than
> changing the way to code.

The point is ,does Lucens use threads internally which the sandbox disallows

> --
> Chris Lu
> site: http://www.dbsight.net
> demo: http://search.dbsight.com
> Lucene Database Search in 3 minutes:
> http://wiki.dbsight.com/index.php?title=Create_Lucene_Database_Search_in_3_minutes
> DBSight customer, a shopping comparison site, (anonymous per request) got
> 2.6 Million Euro funding!
>

> Noble Paul ??????? ?????? wrote:
>>
>> Is it possible to run Lucene in google app engine? has anyone tried it?

--Noble Paul