lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul Taylor <paul_t...@fastmail.fm>
Subject Re: no segments* file found: files: Error on opening index
Date Mon, 27 Apr 2009 11:19:54 GMT
Michael McCandless wrote:
> It's fine if one thread is changing the index (w/ IndexWriter) while
> other threads are opening IndexReaders.
>
> Though, if you have IndexWriter opening with "create=true" at the same
> time that an IndexReader is attempting to open the index, that would
> explain this.  Is it possible that's happening?
>
> The fact that you see no files listed in the exception's message means
> the directory was empty at the time IndexReader was being openened.
>
> Mike

Hi Mike,

Its now occurred to me that the IndexWriter code might have decided that
so many records needed modifying that it would be better to recreate the
index from scratch  rather than modify it, so if an Indexreader accessed
it at the time it would be empty. is there a way I can get the
IndexReader to wait for the IndexWriter to complete.

Paul