lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Lu <chris...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Can I run Lucene in google app engine?
Date Mon, 13 Apr 2009 07:40:24 GMT
Surely it's possible, but it has too much limitations to prevent a
scalable Luceen usage. However, it depends on your requirement.

1) You can not write index on disk, but you can read files. So
theoretically if the index is read-only and small, you can package it
with the war file.

2) If you need to update the index, you will have to store the index
with Google's data store, just like store an index into databases. Sure
it'll work. But performance would suffer because of transferring the
whole index into memory, then really start searching. On the other hand,
this could be a good solution for small index with per-user data.

3) For large changing indexes, you need to find other solutions to
maintain lucene index.

My personal opinion is, finding a $20/month VPS hosting is far easier
than changing the way to code.

--
Chris Lu