lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Noll <dan...@nuix.com>
Subject Internals question: BooleanQuery with many TermQuery children
Date Tue, 07 Apr 2009 03:04:44 GMT
Hi all.

This is something I have been wondering for a while but can't find a
good answer by reading the code myself.

If you have a query like this:

   ( field:Value1 OR
     field:Value2 OR
     field:Value3 OR
      ... )

How many TermEnum / TermDocs scans should this execute?

(a) One per clause, or
(b) One for the entire boolean query?

I wonder because we do use a lot of queries of this nature, and I can't
find any direct evidence that they get logically merged, leading me to
believe that it's one per clause at present (and thus this becomes a
potential optimisation.)

Daniel