lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Tim Williams <william...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Sequential match query
Date Sun, 12 Apr 2009 12:15:20 GMT
On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 5:56 AM, Erik Hatcher
<erik@ehatchersolutions.com> wrote:

> On Apr 11, 2009, at 9:11 PM, Tim Williams wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 12:25 PM, Erick Erickson
>> <erickerickson@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> That'll teach me to scan a post. The link I sent you
>>> is still relevant, but wildcards are NOT intended to be used to
>>> concatenate terms. You want a phrase query or a span query
>>> for that. i.e. "A C F"~# where # is the "slop", that is, the number
>>> of other terms allowed to appear between your desired terms.
>>>
>>> SpanQueries are constructed programmatically, and PhraseQueries
>>> are produced by the parser.
>>
>> As I understand it though, there's no way to use the queryparser to
>> construct an *ordered* phrase query with slop (which is what I think
>> he's after), right?  I gather that'd have to be done manually with a
>> SpanNearQuery.  I'd love to hear that the query parser has syntax for
>> this though...
>
> QueryParser does not create any SpanQuery's, but one can subclass
> QueryParser and override getFieldQuery() to put in a SpanQuery instead of a
> PhraseQuery.

Thanks Erik, wouldn't this be an all-or-nothing replacement though?
In other words, by creating ordered SpanNearQuery's as the override,
wouldn't he loose the current unordered PhraseQuery+slop
functionality?  I haven't seen a way to subclass the QueryParser to
support both (e.g. extend the syntax)?

Thanks,
--tim