lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Tim Williams <>
Subject Re: Query any data
Date Fri, 10 Apr 2009 13:43:13 GMT
2009/4/10 Matthew Hall <>:
> I think I would tackle this in a slightly different manner.
> When you are creating this index, make sure that that field has a
> default value. Make sure this value is something that could never appear
> in the index otherwise. Then, when you goto place this field into the
> index, either write out your actual value, or the default one.
> Then when you get the document back, you can look at that field, and
> solve your question. You can also craft queries that specifically avoid
> entries that don't have a value in this field with a not clause.

I think this is limited by...

... not being able to [easily] add new fields over time... you'd have
to reindex all documents (to insert the new magic token) just to add a
new field.

... requiring additional manipulation for appendable, updateable
fields... when you append new data to a field, you'd have to go in and
remove the special token.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message