lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Sam Hough <...@redspr.com>
Subject Re: Self Join Query
Date Tue, 14 Apr 2009 16:13:03 GMT

Bit late joining in but since this is the first Google hit for
"site:www.nabble.com joins lucene" thought it was reasonable place to add
this note:

In my application "joins" also start to seem appealing. Almost all my use
cases fit very nicely within what Lucene does apart from a "nice to have" ad
hoc query tool. Here it becomes difficult to "join" the result of queries.

I think the source of this difficulty is that while you can very efficiently
get the two lists of document numbers for matching As and Bs (to use the
original posters example) there is no, obvious, quick way to join the two.
Since document numbers change it would be painful to maintain an external

I started my application years ago before any real full text searching in
postgres etc. Now I'm a bit addicted to how light and fast Lucene on its own
is.