lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "patrick o'leary" <pj...@pjaol.com>
Subject Re: Autonomy search technology
Date Sat, 04 Apr 2009 03:04:39 GMT
I think you need to ask the question what do you want?

A person asked me one, which is better, a gold pen fountain pen or a plastic
bic pen?
The answer - depends
If you want the most fluid writing instrument, which gives you a certain
level of accomplishment as you use it, and looks superb then the gold pen is
the answer.

If however, you want a pen to use in the office, that just takes notes, you
don't have to
worry about chewing the top off, and aren't overly concerned about loosing
it going from meeting to meeting then the plastic pen is what you want.

Autonomy has a significant amount of predefined indexing, predictive search,
and matching capabilities.
Lucene is open source and capable of providing basic to complex search
systems, but requires elbow grease to make it happen.

Autonomy comes with commercial support
Lucene has folks who will provide the same, but if you are will to do the
work you can get some support for free from an established community.

Autonomy looks like a superb product, but seems to have a significant price
tag
Lucene is free...

Autonomy locks you into a proprietary product, with limited pool of
experienced employees to hire from...
Lucene probably has x100 times the amount of people you can hire to work on
your projects, and as it's open source, it requires little to no training to
bring java skilled engineers up to speed on it.

The real question is, what are you looking for, and what best suits the
commitment level of your group?