lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mindaugas Žakšauskas <min...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene index architecture question
Date Thu, 26 Mar 2009 14:46:03 GMT
I don't think you can write to the same index (file) from multiple
locations at the same time and expect predictable behaviour.
Afficionados will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think pessimistic
locking file system (think NTFS) would simply not allow this,
optimistic locking (think ext3) would result either missing data in
the index files or (I suppose more likely) index corruption.

The solution we have built on Lucene uses event mechanism where every
node can inform any other node about changed record. Then the node
picks up the data from the primary information source. As you have
multi-node system, you probably need some sort of event/messaging
between nodes anyway, so why not just do it? Look at JMS, they've got
all sorts of facilities, e.g. serializing events into disk when the
remote node is down, etc.

m.