lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Scores between words. Boosting?
Date Thu, 19 Mar 2009 13:28:05 GMT

On Mar 19, 2009, at 5:13 AM, liat oren wrote:

> I am looking for a quick solution to expand queries so they will
> look for
> synonms as well.
> The same way WordNet is doing - it will looks for other words that
> mean the
> same as written in the query.
>
> So Synonyms and WordNet are better categories to describe what I need.
>
> Any idea?

You might have a look at Solr's SynonymFilter

> Currently what I do, is expending the query in my own code - for
> every word
> in the query I also add the 10 most close words to that one and
> parse it to
> the query parser.

Any particular reason for 10?  Seems like for large queries, you could
quickly create a very very large query.

> It takes a bit time and I wondered whether I am missing something
> and it can
> be done in a better way.

What part is slow?  Can you share more about your current solution
code-wise?  If your synonym list is fairly static, you might consider
adding synonyms during indexing instead.