lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: Lucene 2.9
Date Mon, 09 Mar 2009 10:32:55 GMT

Allahbaksh Mohammedali Asadullah wrote:

> When is Lucene 2.9 due? I am eagerly waiting for the new lucene to
> come.

There have been some discussions on java-dev, but there's no clear
consensus/date yet.  We do have quite a few Jira issues marked as 2.9
at this point, which we need to make progress on or push out:

   https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&resolution=-1&pid=12310110&fixfor=12312682

> As I compared Lucene with Minion I think Minion offers very rich
> capabilities like easier range query etc.

Can you provide some detail on what's different about range queries,
or any other differences?  Is it the lack of numeric operators (<, <=,
 >, >=, !=) via QueryParser? Minion definitely looks like a neat
search engine.

> Is there any plans to have simpler queries for Numbers and Data?

With the recent addition of TrieRangeQuery (in 2.9), I think Lucene's
range querying is actually very strong, though you'd have to subclass
QueryParser and override getRangeQuery to have it create TrieRangeQuery.

Mike