lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: boosting query
Date Thu, 19 Mar 2009 13:40:01 GMT
First off, I would start by using Lucene's explain functionality to
see why one result appears before the other. The explain method will
tell you all the factors that go into scoring each of your results, as
it goes beyond just term frequency.

Finally, you might find http://www.lucidimagination.com/Community/Hear-from-the-Experts/Articles/Debugging-Relevance-Issues-Search

  helpful.  One of the things I often tell people is that if you know
a certain result needs to be in a certain place for a certain query,
just put it there.  Otherwise, don't sweat relative position too much
unless you have a result that you think is good buried (i.e. page 5)
deep down in your results.

-Grant