lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ian Lea <ian....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: query & doc boost difference
Date Wed, 25 Mar 2009 10:19:17 GMT
In http://archives.devshed.com/forums/java-118/giving-different-boost-to-different-terms-in-a-same-document-2109816.html
Erick quotes Hoss as saying

Index time field boosts are a way to express things like "this documents
title is worth twice as much as the title of most documents". Query time
boosts are a way to express "I care about matches on this clause of my query
twice as much as I do about matches to other clauses of my query".

I've added this to the FAQ at http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/LuceneFAQ

But I don't know why your code isn't doing what you want.  Maybe you
are boosting the wrong query, or need a different boost value, or need
doc.setBoost() instead.

--
Ian.