lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ian Lea <ian....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: deletion of index-files fails
Date Fri, 06 Mar 2009 09:07:17 GMT
What OS are you running?  What version of lucene?  Are you sure that
you have privilege to delete the files that it is failing on? That
they are part of the index you are trying to remove?  That something
else doesn't have the files open?

It seems likely that you are on Windows and that something is holding
on to the files. I believe that Windows won't let you delete open
files.  You could try calling File.deleteOnExit() for the index files.

--
Ian.

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 2:19 AM,  <rolarenfan@earthlink.net> wrote:
> So, I have a (small) Lucene index, all fine; I use it a bit, and then (on app shutdown)
want to delete its files and the containing directory (the index is intended as a temp object).
At some earlier time this was working just fine, using java.io.File.delete(). Now however,
some of the files get deleted (segments*) whereas others fail (no Exn is thrown, just java.io.File.delete()
returns false: _0.cfs, _0.cfx). I've tried closing the IndexReader (no IndexWriter exists
at shutdown), but that makes no diff.