lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Anshum <ansh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Can you create a RAM index from a file index
Date Tue, 24 Mar 2009 10:42:58 GMT
Hi Paul,

Going by what you've conveyed here, I'd assume that you have more than some
data. You could either go ahead with Ian's way which is the suggested one(as
far as lucene implementation is concerned) but It'd not be possible if
you're index is greater than 2 Gigs and you are not running the 64 bit
version of JVM (as your JVM could not use more than 2Gigs of RAM otherwise).
The other workaround that I've tried successfully is by creating a tmpfs
partition and copying your index onto that tmpfs partition. This would also
mean that you'd need almost the same amount of 'free' ram to copy the index
onto the RAM.
You could then open your reader in the regular fashion straight off the RAM
based tmpfs.
You could also go through the archives for suggestions.
--
Anshum Gupta
Naukri Labs!