lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Shalin Shekhar Mangar <>
Subject Marking commit points as deleted does not clean up on IW.close
Date Mon, 02 Mar 2009 20:06:20 GMT

In Solr, when a user calls commit, the IndexWriter is closed (causing a
commit). It is opened again only when another document is added or, a delete
is performed. In order to support replication, Solr trunk now uses a
deletion policy. The default policy is (should be?) equivalent to

However, once a commit is performed, we see that the last two commit points
are being kept back. The 2nd last one is cleaned up once the IndexWriter is
opened again. It'd be great if someone can suggest on what we might be doing
wrong. For the time being, we can work around this by using IW.commit and
keeping the IW open.

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.