lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Scores between words. Boosting?
Date Sun, 08 Mar 2009 11:47:24 GMT
Hi Liat,

Some questions inline below.

On Mar 8, 2009, at 5:49 AM, liat oren wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have scores between words, for example - dog and animal have a
> score of
> 0.5 (and not 0), dog and cat have a score of 0.2, etc.
> These scores are stored in an index:
> Doc1: field words: dog animal
>         field score: 0.5
> Doc2: field words: dog cat
>         field score: 0.2
>
> If the user searches for the word dog - I would like that documents
> that
> contain the word animal or cat will also get a good score (that will
> take
> into account the 0.5 and 0.2).

Is it always the case that these come in pairs?  In other words, would
you ever have:
field words: dog cat animal
score: 0.9

Also, is the following equivalent, or would it have a different score:
field words: cat dog
score: 0.2

> Basically what I do is: for every document in the database, I loop
> over the
> words that appear in the query (the query is long in a size of an
> article)
> and for every word that appears in each document I take the score
> from the
> index mentioned above and calculating a score between the query and
> each
> document.
>
> Any suggestion how to do it using Lucene search? How to add these
> values to
> the searcher?

Thinking...

> I looked at the boosting option, but couldn't really see how it
> helps me to
> that matter.

What "boosting option" did you look at?  Can you explain a bit more?

Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com/

using Solr/Lucene:
http://www.lucidimagination.com/search