lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Srinivas Bharghav <srini.bharg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using Lucene for user query parsing
Date Mon, 09 Mar 2009 08:31:35 GMT
Thanks for all the inputs guys.

As Erick said let me elaborate the problem a bit.

We are trying to develop a local search application. The user will be able
to locate businesses, localities and roads. We have data for all the 3 with
us. We do not want to provide separate boxes for the user to enter data i.e
a common one for all entry box (a la google :)) where the user enters an
address (or road name or area name) or all the 3 etc etc. From the user
query we have to find the best possible match in our data. The data has lots
of numbers as well as names with initials and stuff like that. The user may
enter the names with a space between the initals or they might club the
initials together etc etc. From the user query we do not have a way to
figure out what is what apart from the obvious ones as to if something ends
with a road then it is a road name or if there is a layout in the query then
it is an area etc. Right now we have our own custom framework. I am trying
to figure out as to whether Lucene is suited for this kind of application.

Once again thanks for all the inputs.