lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Srinivas Bharghav <srini.bharg...@gmail.com>
Subject Using Lucene for user query parsing
Date Fri, 06 Mar 2009 06:25:15 GMT
I am trying to evaluate as to whether Lucene is the right candidate for the
problem at hand.

Say I have 3 indexes:

Index 1 has street names.
Index 2 has business names.
Index 3 has area names.

All these names can be single words or a combination of words like woodward
street or marks and spencers street etc etc.

Now the use enters a query saying "mc donalds woodward street kingston
precinct".

I have to parse this query and come up with the best match possible. The
problem is, in the query I do not know which part is the business name or
area name or street name. Also the user may give the query in any order for
example he may give it as "kingston precinct mc donalds woodward street".
There might be spelling mistkaes in the query enterd by the user. Also he
might use road for street or lane for street and such things. I know that
Lucene is the right candidate for the synonym and spelling mistakes part but
am a bit hazy regarding the user query parsing part as to in which index to
search what. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Srini.