lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Kieran Topping <kie...@kitsite.com>
Subject Re: Instantiating a RAMDirectory from a mutating directory
Date Mon, 09 Mar 2009 11:41:52 GMT
Mike, many thanks for this most comprehensive reply.
> Actually, I believe that NOTE only applies to the two addIndexes
> methods that take Directory.  So I think this approach will work fine
> in general.  Have you hit any problems in testing it?  I'll update the
> javadocs.
I have not attempted this yet (I was put off by the stark warning!).
I'll let you/list know whether I encounter any problems. I'm not /too/
bothered about performance in my particular case. I'm using RAMDirectory
partly for enhanced search-speed, but also partly as a means to keep
many (50+) small-ish (<30MB) indexes open without running into "too many
open files" problems.

If I do encounter any problems, I expect I will look at implementing the
second one of your supplementary suggestions (i.e. using the
SegmentInfos class directly), and just keep an eye out for any api
changes between lucene versions.

Many thanks again for your time,

Kieran