lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Noll <dan...@nuix.com>
Subject Re: Optimum way to find all document without particular field
Date Thu, 05 Mar 2009 01:26:08 GMT
Chris Lu wrote:
> Allahbaksh,
>
> If you ONLY want to find all document with a particular field that is
> not null, you can loop through the TermEnum and TermDocs to find all the
> document ids.
> But this can not easily be combined with other queries.

Surely this would be equivalent to a PrefixQuery with a prefix of "".
Assuming the query parser is well behaved (I can no longer remember
whether the default one is or not), field:* should create one.

This is assuming you have already indexed the data.  If you can reindex
then clearly adding a placeholder value for "no content" is more efficient.

Daniel