lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "bruce" <bedoug...@earthlink.net>
Subject RE: Research Question
Date Thu, 19 Mar 2009 23:28:53 GMT
hi erick/grant.. and others..

the basic issue as best i can state it is that i have an initial query, that
returns some data, along with a faculty name.

the name can be firts,last. i can also search via the web staff search
function, such that i return one or more possible faculty, who might be the
faculty for the class i'm dealing with.

in looking at this problem, i'm tempted to take a kind of statistical
approach, where i compute the terms that are listed on the faculty member's
page (division/dept/bldg/etc...) and i attempt to "correlate this, or
'match' this to the class that i'm dealing with...

my question, really, i guess, is whether anyone/someone has dealt with a
similar problem/issue before, and if so, what solution was used (if any).

pointers to any kind of research, or docs, or other resources/contacts would
be seriously helpful..

thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: Erick Erickson [mailto:erickerickson@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2009 10:31 AM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Research Question

Well, it seems that your problem, as stated, is not soluble. You've
stated that the instructors have the same name but given us no clue
as to what other information you have access to. So there's nothing
to distinguish them.

So what other information do you have about the particular instructors?
I can imagine that each instructor is a document with other information
like past degrees, department, etc and that the classes also have
some kind of metadata that could be used to correlate. But unless
you can give us some clue what information you *do* have access to,
I don't think there's much we can do to help...

Best
Erick