lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Steven A Rowe <sar...@syr.edu>
Subject RE: Why do range queries work on fields only ?
Date Tue, 03 Mar 2009 17:33:25 GMT
Hi Raymond,

On 3/3/2009 at 12:04 PM, Raymond Balm├Ęs wrote:
> The range query only works on fields (using a string compare)... is
> there any reason why it is not possible on the words of the document.
>
> The following query  [stringa TO stringb] would just give the list of
> documents which contains words between those two strings.

Can you give an example of what you want to do?

I suspect what you want is to look at a range of terms that appear in the collection (that
is, across all documents) - if this is so, then you may be interested in IndexReader.terms(Term):

http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_4_0/api/org/apache/lucene/index/IndexReader.html#terms(org.apache.lucene.index.Term)

Steve