lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <>
Subject Re: Memory during Indexing
Date Thu, 12 Mar 2009 17:09:25 GMT

On Mar 12, 2009, at 10:47 AM, Niels Ott wrote:

> Michael McCandless schrieb:
>> When RAM is full, IW flushes the pending changes to disk, but does
>> not commit them, meaning external (newly opened or reopened)
>> readers will not see the changes.
> Is there a built-in mechanism in the IndexReader to reload the index
> every now and then, after having checked that it has changed?
>> You must commit() or close() (which just calls commit() before
>> closing) for external readers to see the changes.
> So there is no means to do this automatically? I mean, I can count
> documents while adding them and do commit() every now and then, or I
> could commit every time one hour of indexing has passed, etc...

It's called Solr  ;-)

Solr has controls for all of these things.  I know that isn't
necessarily satisfactory and that you may not want to switch, but you
can always go look at the code for how it is implemented.  Otherwise,
Lucene-wise, you have to manage the lifecycle of the readers,
committing, etc..

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message