lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Uwe Schindler" <...@thetaphi.de>
Subject RE: AW: Re: Speeding up RangeQueries?
Date Sat, 14 Mar 2009 22:58:23 GMT
Hi Niels,

> meanwhile I got Trie working in indexing and querying. I haven't tried
> yet with the large document collection but with my small test setup it
> works well.
>
> Does Trie also work with ranges from negative to positive numbers?

This is no problem, you can choose between long, int, double, float and
other formats that can be expressed as those (like java.util.Date). This is
different from all the tricks with numbers formatted using DecimalFormat and
prefix-"0"s. The datatypes are converted into binary sortable ASCII-only
strings (not human readable) independent of the sign or type (this is
explained in JavaDocs with examples @
http://hudson.zones.apache.org/hudson/job/Lucene-trunk/javadoc/all/org/apach
e/lucene/search/trie/package-summary.html). Even floats sort correctly and
can be queried on the whole range between -INFINTY and +INFINITY. You must
only fix to a type for a field, so if you index as int, you must query as
int and so on.

Uwe