lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <ysee...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: the impact of thousands of field in a single document
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2009 17:25:59 GMT
On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 3:26 AM,  <Fang_Li@emc.com> wrote:
> Due to requirement, we need to construct a Lucene document with tens of
> thousands of Field. Did anyone try this? What's the performance penalty
> comparing with one single field to store all tokens for both indexing
> and searching?

It's doable.
Searching performance won't suffer at all.
Retrieving stored fields (after a search) will suffer somewhat.
Indexing performance will suffer somewhat.

The main problem will be norms, which aren't sparse and take up one
byte per document per field in the index, unless you omit the norms.

-Yonik
Lucene/Solr? http://www.lucidimagination.com