lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Matt Ronge <>
Subject Re: lucene index details
Date Sun, 22 Feb 2009 05:58:06 GMT

On Feb 19, 2009, at 5:17 AM, Seid Mohammed wrote:

> I am new to lucene, and reading lucene in action book
> sometimes, i better understand when somone tell me an answer than a
> book.
> my queston is
> when indexing, what actually lucene is doing?
> if i have a file called test.txt  with contents " lucen is used to
> index files" and i apply lucene indexing, what is the content of the
> index and  what is the structure of the index?.
> and if i apply lucene search, for example a query "index files", from
> where lucene searches, from the index or from the test.index file

If you're interested in the structure of the Lucene index, the best
resource is here:
(for the current release)

It lays out the structure in great detail, skim it over a bit, it will
greatly help in understanding how Lucene works.
Matt Ronge

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message