lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Raffaella Ventaglio <r.ventag...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Faceted search with OpenBitSet/SortedVIntList
Date Sun, 08 Feb 2009 08:32:34 GMT
Hi Chris,

The "SortedVIntList" approach is similar to field cache. It's better to use
> the fieldcache for the facet search, which is the "normal" approach and
> used
> in tools like Solr, DBSight, Bobo Browse Engine, etc.

Thanks for your answer, I did not know about FieldCache.
However, I think I cannot use it to solve my problem because, as I said in
my previous post, a lot of my "facets" are not related to a "value" on a
single field, but can be configured by the user by writing a complex boolean
query.

And this is also the reason why I think I cannot use Solr to implement this
kind of faceted search.

> To avoid creating a lot of objects and quickly throwing them away, you can
> adjust Eden memory size, or you can create a bunch of objects and try to
> re-use them.

Our Eden memory size is already very big, but it is not sufficient and, in
any case, this solution would not be very scalable.
I was also thinking about creating a "pool" of OpenBitSet to reuse, but
before to implement this I thought to look if there were already a better
solution I was not aware of.

Thanks,
Raf