lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Amin Mohammed-Coleman <ami...@gmail.com>
Subject Field.Store.YES Question
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2009 08:30:26 GMT
Hi

I'm probably going to get shot down for asking this simple question.
Although I think I understand the basic concept of Field I feel there is
something that I am missing and I was wondering if someone might help to
clarify.

You can store a field value in an index using Field.Store.YES or if the
content is too large then you can exclude it be stored in the index using
Field.Store.NO.   How does Lucene know how to search for a term in an index
if the value hasn't been stored in the index?  I guess I can understand that
if you don't store the field then you can't get the field and it's value
using the document api.

Is there a seperate part in the lucene document that the tokenised strings
are stored and therefore Lucene knows where to look?

Again I do apologise for asking this question...I just feel like I'm missing
something (knew I shouldn't have had those tequilla shots!).

Thanks
Amin