lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Varun Dhussa <>
Subject Lucene search performance on Sun UltraSparc T2 (T5120) servers
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2009 10:36:07 GMT

I have had a bad experience when migrating my application from Intel
Xeon based servers to Sun UltraSparc T2 T5120 servers. Lucene fuzzy
search just does not perform. A search which took approximately 500 ms
takes more than 6 seconds to execute.

The index has about 100,000,000 records. So, I tried to split it into 10
indices and used the ParallelSearcher on it, but still got similar results.

I am guessing that this is because the distance implementation used by
Lucene requires higher clock speed and can't be parallelized much.

Please advice

Varun Dhussa
Product Architect
CE InfoSystems (P) Ltd