lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Upper limit on number of Fields
Date Mon, 16 Feb 2009 00:29:16 GMT
In my experience, the main issue to be concerned about with tons of
fields is norms. You'll likely have to turn them off for most of the
fields unless you have plenty of RAM to burn. They are stored in byte
arrays of size maxdoc for each field (eg non sparse). Other than that, I
don't think there is a pronounced penalty in my experience for tons of
fields. 10,000 fields is probably more than I have ever seen though, so
do report back how it goes.

--
- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com