lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From d-fader <dfa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Partial / starts with searching
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2009 09:43:23 GMT
Karl,

As a matter of fact I more or less did. I'm not really into NGrams, but
I read some articles about this technique and I eventually ended up at
the 'Did you mean: Lucene?' article written by Tom White. To make a long
story short, this solved my problem partially. I do have 2 indexes now
and I've written code to extract all terms a user entered, put them
through the suggestion engine and tries to be clever about what
suggestion should be used. It includes that stop words are ignored, when
the entered term exists for more than x times in the index already it's
probably good (and thus a suggestion is not needed) and when there are
suggestions available, the suggestion with the most occurences in the
index is presented. After that the original query is being built up
again, preserving all command codes (like ", ( ), AND, OR, etc. etc.).
As said, this system works pretty well and mostly if there's a
suggestion available, it's actually quite accurate, so thanks for this.

Still, it doesn't solve my problem fully. But I think I now know why
Lucene can't search 'truely' partially. To find a document fast, all
terms are stored with a list of documents which contain the term and
when a user searches, Lucene can identify the documents by comparing the
terms entered to the terms on that list, right? If so, it's
understandable that a true partial search never will work, but then I
just don't understand how Google manages to do this :)

Jori.