lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From John Byrne <john.by...@propylon.com>
Subject waaaay too many files in the index!
Date Tue, 03 Feb 2009 15:26:18 GMT
Hi,

I've got a weird problem with a lucene index, using 2.3.1. The index
contains 6660 files. I don't know how this happened.Maybe somone can
tell me something about the files themselves? (examples below)

On one day, between 10 and 40 of these files were being created every
minute. The index updates are triggered by updates to an SVN repository,
but I can't find any corresponding activity in the SVN logs.

The lucene files all have names like this:

 _1qsw.cfs
_1qsx.cfs
 _1qsy.cfs
_1qsz.cfs
_1qt0.cfs

and are mostly < 5K in size.

My application uses just one instance each of
IndexReader/IndexWriter/IndexSearcher. From looking at

Can anyone shed any light on these files? I'm not too hopeful about
fixing this index because we are getting "too many open files", even
with an unlimited ulimit, but any info/suggestions would be great. Thanks.

-John