lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Nada Mimouni" <>
Subject RE: Index Structure
Date Thu, 19 Feb 2009 11:23:38 GMT

When indexing Lucene generates terms from your original text.

To see the content and the structure of the index, use "Luke" which is a Lucene index toolbox.
You can download it here :
There is a detailed description of this tool (with pretty screen-shots) in : "Lucene in Action"
book, section 8.2.2.

-----Original Message-----
From: Seid Mohammed []
Sent: Thu 2/19/2009 12:09 PM
Subject: Index Structure
I am new to lucene, and reading lucene in action book
sometimes, i better understand when somone tell me an answer than a book.
my queston is
when indexing, what actually lucene is doing?
if i have a file called test.txt  with contents " lucen is used to
index files" and i apply lucene indexing, what is the content of the
index and  what is the structure of the index?.

and if i apply lucene search, for example a query "index files", from
where lucene searches, from the index or from the test.index file

thanks a lot
seid m

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: